A-list Supermodel, Gigi Hadid, recently shared her favorite pasta sauce recipe in her stories on Instagram and the final result looked pretty next-level, as you can see from the screenshot below.
Many of her followers quickly recreated the creamy tomato sauce at home and raved about how good it was. Some even made claims it tastes just like the famous $32.00 Carbone version I’ve been dying to try. Need I say more? So with that, I give you Gigi Hadid’s Spicy Vodka Pasta Sauce recipe.
- 2 cups of pasta – use small shells if you want it to be like Gigi’s, or rigatoni if you want it to be like Carbone
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, diced
- 1/4 shallot, diced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tbsp of vodka
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- Put a medium-sized pot of water on high to boil.
- Add olive oil a separate saucepan on medium heat.
- Add garlic and shallot to oil, and cook until soft.
- Then add tomato paste and cook until it darkens and is “slightly caramelized” as Gigi describes it.
- Add 1 tbsp of vodka and mix until evaporated.
- Stir in heavy cream until fully blended, then add 1 tsp chili flakes (more if you want a big kick of spice), salt, and pepper, then remove from heat.
- Add a pinch of salt to the pot of boiling water, then add your pasta and cook according to package instructions.
- With 1 minute of cooking time left, remove 1/4 cup of pasta water and set aside.
- Drain pasta and transfer to sauce, stirring to coat.
- Add the pasta water and butter.
- Stir in parmesan cheese and top with an additional sprinkle on top if you’re a major cheese-lover like Gigi.
If you don’t want to use alcohol, it is possible to omit the vodka completely. It is used to add depth to the sauce but not including it won’t change the flavour.
For a pinch of freshness, add chopped basil to serve.
This recipe serves 2, if you want to ensure theres more than enough to go around (or want leftovers), double it!