Though I am not a vegan, I really enjoy finding incredible vegan recipes. This, my friends, is one of them. For the last couple of years, I’ve been making this cheese sauce and I swear to you it is next-level delicious. Pour it over macaroni, broccoli, or whatever else your cheese-loving heart desires! Creamy and cheesy, I honestly now prefer it over the real thing.
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 small russet potato
- 3 cloves garlic (fresh or minced)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 2/3 cup salted cashews
- 1 1/2cup water
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Sriracha
- Add the olive oil and onion, diced, to a large pot on medium heat. Stir and let cook until the onions are translucent, for approximately 5 minutes.
- Dice the potato and add it to the pot.
- Stir in the garlic, garlic powder, onion powder, mustard powder, salt and chilli flakes.
- Add in the cashews and water and stir again to combine.
- Let the mixture come to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender, for approximately 7 minutes.
- Pour the mixture carefully into a blender and add the nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar, and Sriracha.
- Blend on high until the mixture is completely smooth, pausing periodically to scrape down the sides if needed.
- Add additional salt to taste, pour over your favorite pasta or vegetable, and enjoy!!
-If you prefer a more thin consistency to your sauce, add more water while blending.
-If you don’t have a good blender (€86.33 // $108.88), soak your cashews for an hour or two prior to using to soften them up.
If you made this recipe, I’d love to see your creation!
Tag me on Instagram at @meghflanagan and hashtag #EditEats