Though I am not a vegan, I really enjoy finding incredible vegan recipes. This, my friends, is one of them. For the last couple of years, I’ve been making this cheese sauce and I swear to you it is next-level delicious. Pour it over macaroni, broccoli, or whatever else your cheese-loving heart desires! Creamy and cheesy, I honestly now prefer it over the real thing.
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 small russet potato
- 3 cloves garlic (fresh or minced)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 2/3 cup salted cashews
- 1 1/2cup water
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Sriracha
- Add the olive oil and onion, diced, to a large pot on medium heat. Stir and let cook until the onions are translucent, for approximately 5 minutes.
- Dice the potato and add it to the pot.
- Stir in the garlic, garlic powder, onion powder, mustard powder, salt and chilli flakes.
- Add in the cashews and water and stir again to combine.
- Let the mixture come to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender, for approximately 7 minutes.
- Pour the mixture carefully into a blender and add the nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar, and Sriracha.
- Blend on high until the mixture is completely smooth, pausing periodically to scrape down the sides if needed.
- Add additional salt to taste, pour over your favorite pasta or vegetable, and enjoy!!
-If you prefer a more thin consistency to your sauce, add more water while blending.